Friday, February 28, 2014

An Idea for a new story

Set in the early 1930's at a fictitious all girls college.  No prior thought, this is just what flowed out after looking at this photo of two women from that era.





“Welcome to Smiths Miss Vanity Bench, I’m Constance Debutante, and I am the Dean of Student Affairs here at Smiths.  I enjoyed meeting your father and mother when you made your visit last spring.  Your mother and I had quite an enchanting talk, while you and your father took your walk.”

“Thank you Dean Debutante, I am very happy to be here, as you were my first choice, as an institution to further my education, on my way to reaching my goal of being an Attorney.” 

I paused and added; “I can only guess at what you and my mother discussed, but I assume it had something to do with me, since you felt the need to mention it to me.”

“Ah Miss Bench, I can see the Attorney in you already, and you are correct, your mother is concerned, because you do not seem to show any interest in boys, or men, and as this is an women only university, that you will lose all interest in men.  I got the feeling from her that she thinks you might be more interested in girls than boy, or as we prefer to say here at Smiths, young women and young men.”

“Dean Debutante, I sincerely hope that it will not be a problem, if I show no interest in boys, or young men.  I got the feeling when I took my visit, young women having other young women as friends was acceptable behavior here at Smiths.”

“You were correct in your observation Miss Bench, it is acceptable behavior here, by many but not all, I have to add.”

“May I ask what side of the issue the Dean is on?”

“You may, as Dean I have to be neutral and support both sides, but in private, let me simply say it is Miss Debutante and has always been so.”

“Thank you Dean Debutante, for your honesty and candor, my mother is correct I have never known a man, but I have known a girlfriend.”

“In that case Miss Bench, might I again welcome you to Smith’s and remind you of the mixer next Saturday, at my home, that I think that you will enjoy.”

“Thank you Dean Debutante, I would be honored to attend, and now with your permission, I would like to go to my dorm room and meet my new roommate.”

“Very understandable Miss Bench, and I trust that you and your roommate, Carrie Meaway, will become good friends.”

“Thank you Dean Debutante, and I look forward to next Saturday.”


That was my first meeting with Dean Debutante, on my first day at Smiths, but not my last in any shape or way.

No comments:

Post a Comment