Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Why Must Love Hurt

Why Must Love Hurt

I have hurt a friend
That I find so dear
It was no intent of mine
It hurts me in my mind

My own mind is in a dilemma
Brought by a call 2 weeks ago
From my companion of old
About whom not much have I told.

We had parted ways
Some four plus years ago
And had talked rarely in
Over a thousand plus days

She invited me to dinner
At a bistro, and not at her home
I accepted her invite, both because
I missed her and was curious

I found her sitting at a table
That we had often shared
Two glasses and a bottle of wine
Waiting with her for me to share


She rose as I approached
And kissed both of my cheeks
I returned both kisses
And sat at my regular place

She filled both glasses
And handed one across to me
“I bet you wonder
 Why I chose meet here”

I held my glass to hers
“It had crossed my mind”
Her glass touched mine
And a light came into her eyes

“To apologize to a lady I loved
And hurt so very badly and made cry.
I miss that woman I loved, and know
I my heart that love for her is still here”

She caught me off guard
Of that you can be sure
“What of your young friend?”
“I haven’t seen her in three years.”

I cannot tell a lie
My heart skipped a beat
I still missed her and loved her
But my heart still hurt too.

Dinner was lovely with wine and cheer
To old friends beginning to renew
But with caution on both parts
Decide to date and not immediately renew.

By: D. D.

©June 18, 2014
Suzy Q. Stories Publishing
P.O. Box 143, North Chili, NY  14514
All Rights Reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment